I produced this animation while working 3FX in Philadelphia. I used 3D Studio Max for modeling and animation. I created the blood burst using RealFlow.
The Integuseal animation was very challenging. It required some complicated animation. A hand animation with a product and 3D Liquid. I used 3D Studio Max for the modeling and animation and Realflow to for all the water effects. I won two awards for this animation.
I completed this animation back in 2009. Its kind of cheasy but it looks cool. Overall it was a difficult animation to complete. I had to skin a body, a muscle system, and a skeleton to one rig for animation. I then rendered each one seperatly and comped them in After Effects. I was very pleased with the end results and the client was happy too.
Hunter the fan company needed an animation to showcase their new top of the line air purifier. The goal was to show how the air purifier can destroy airborne bacteria, mold, and even dust mites. The challenge with this animation was the amount of particles I had to create. I think there was over 10000 particles. I turned out pretty well and the Hunter company was very pleased.
This was an animation I did while working at Argosy Medical. The water in the animation is actually a box being pushed through an FFD or a Lattice. The box was then turbo smoothed to smooth out the edges. I hand animated the pill bobbing up in down on the surface of the box. I then applied Mental Ray materials to create the look of water and the esophagus.
While working at Argosy Medical I was assigned a project for The History Channel. They needed an animation of the Palms Casino building being built from the ground up for a TV show called Super Tools. I had a week to create the animation and I was supplied with only one image. It was tricky becuase I had to create the building from nothing. It was a very stressful week.
I had three days to complete this trailer. I found the picture frame, clock, knight, stairs, and chandelier for free at Turbosquid. I added a noise controller to the camera and chandelier to create secondary movement. I used Mental Ray for the lighting and rendering. Anton Bogaty did the intro of the house and the end sequence. Turn your speakers on for this one.
During a slow period at Argosy Medical I got to create three animations of my choosing. I decide to do a dust mite, gymnast, and a birth animation. Each animation had it’s own complexity’s and was very challenging. I had about a month to complete the animations.
The rig for the birth animation was very complex. I used 3d max bones and Ik for the body and spline ik for the umbilical cord. The hardest part was animating the Uterus. That is the pink sack around the baby. I hand animated every vertex moving over the baby’s body.
The bed bug animation was a lot of fun to work on. I used a mix of ZBrush and Max for modeling and texturing. I then built a custom rig in max for the bed bug and duplicated the rig for animation.
The gymnast animation had some pretty complex rigging. I skinned three meshes to a Character Studio rig. I then rendered each one mesh separately then composited them in Adobe After Effects. I then animated the alpha channels in AE to fade in and out the skin, muscle, and bone. If you scrub through the animation you can see the different layers.
In 2007 I was offered a contract position with Nike. They wanted me to produce an animation showcasing their new top of the line soccer ball called the Aerow 90. On release they changed the name to Total 90 Omni. Nike provided a CAD model of the ball and a texture map. In production I created several versions of the ball for the close ups, fly in, sweet spots, layers, and spin. The soccer dude on the field was a model from Nike that I rigged up for a simple turn animation. I pulled everything into After Effects CS3 for post production. I didn’t care much for the music but Nike liked it. My favorite part of the animation was the layers peeling back from within. I used Mental Ray for all the texturing and lighting. It was a challenging and fun project to work on and it also looks good in my portfolio.
A buddy of mine at Smith and Tinker collects movie props and he just purchased a piece of the X-Wing Fighter in Star Wars: A New Hope. This piece was from the end scene when the X-Wing was blasted away by Darth Vader in the Deathstar equatorial trench. Star Wars props are very rare and very cool to see in person.
A couple months ago I produced this intro animation at Smith and Tinker. We built the 3d models in-house except the the blue circuit environment. I setup the camera to fly into the Logovor eye and then into the circuit environment. I broke up the animation into three separate movies and then added post effects in After Effects. I used Mental Ray materials and lighting for the whole animation. Production time was about three days.
This is some of the newest animated work from my current employer Smith and Tinker. I did all the 3D animation in the episode. The 2d animation and post production work was done by my talented coworkers Anton Bogaty, Dustin Haynes, and Chris Rogers.